The Zhong Research Lab welcomes postdoc, Ph.D., MSc., Pharm.D., and undergraduate students to pursue research projects in the areas of developmental pharmacology, epigenetic regulation of cytochrome P450, long non-coding RNAs in liver development, pharmacogenetics, and pharmacoepigenetics for precision medicine. Currently, the Zhong Research Lab has 4 Ph.D., 1 visiting Ph.D., 10 Pharm.D., 6 undergraduate students, and 1 lab manager.
Recent Activities: Graduation and Future Career
- Sabrina Ilham has a new position as a PGY-1 Pharmacy Resident at Concord Hospital, New Hampshire
- Sabrina Ilham received a Pharm.D. degree in May 11, 2019.
- Yangzhou Li accepted an offer as a regulatory affairs specialist at Aleon Pharma International in New Jersey.
- Yangzhou Li received a Pharm.D. degree in May 11, 2019.
- Yifan Bao received a MSc degree in pharmaceutical sciences in May 11, 2019.
- Stephanie Piekos works as a senior scientist in the Department of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) at Beohringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in Ridgefield, CT from June 1, 2018.
- Stephanie Piekos passed her Ph.D. thesis dissertation defense in May 3, 2018.
- Chad Pope works as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Kansas School of Pharmacy in Lawrence, Kansas from September 1, 2017.
- Chad Pope received his Ph.D. degree in August, 2017.
- Austin Ferrara works as a fellowship in Regulatory Affairs at Novartis in East Hannover, New Jersey from July 1, 2017.
- Austin Ferrara received a Pharm.D. degree from the University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy in May 6, 2017.
- Stephanie Piekos received a summer internship from Boehringer Ingelheim (BI) to support her training at BI in 2016 Summer.
- Lai Peng works as a product manager at Shanghai Epican Genetech, Shanghai, China.
Recent Activities: Achievement and Awards
- Liming Chen received the Edward A. and Lamia H. Khairallah Fellowship award ($1,500) to support his research in 2019 Summer.
- Liming Chen gave an oral presentation with a title of "Impact on acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity by long non-coding RNAs HNF1a-AS1 and HNF4a-AS1 in HepaRG cells" at the Experimental Biology Meeting in Orlando, FL in April 06, 2019.
- Pei Wang received a Graduate Student Travel Award ($800) from ASPET at the Experimental Biology Meeting in Orlando, FL in April 06, 2019.
- Pei Wang gave an oral presentation with a title of "Consequences of neonatal activation of PXR on drug metabolism in adult mice" at the 58th Annual Meeting of SOT in Baltimore, MD in March 13, 2019.
- Liming Chen received the Best Student Oral Presentation Award at the SOT Northeast Regional Chapter Annual Meeting in Rhode Island in October 26, 2018.
- Liming Chen received a Graduate Student Travel Award ($800) from ASPET at the Experimental Biology Meeting in San Diego, CA in April 21, 2018.
- Liming Chen received a 2nd Place Student Best Presentation Award in 2017 International Symposium on Drug Metabolism in Beijing, China in June 28, 2017.
- Austin Ferrara received a Merck Manuals Award for Academic Excellence in the graduation banquet in May 5, 2017.
- Shashank Mishra received an IDEA (Imagine Develop Engage Apply) Grant Award ($4,000) from the Office of Undergraduate Research of the University of Connecticut to support a self-designed and self-led project in 2017-2018 academic year.
- Stephanie Piekos received an AFPE Pre-Doctoral Fellowship in Pharmaceutical Sciences ($10,000) from the American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education to support her Ph.D. education in 2017-2018 academic year.
- Stephanie Piekos received the Philip Rosenberg & Steven D. Cohen Graduate Fellowship ($2,000) to support her research in 2017 Summer.
- Avish Patel received a Summer Undergraduate Research Fund (SURF) Award ($3,895) from the Office of Undergraduate Research of the University of Connecticut to support his research in 2017 Summer.
- Stephanie Piekos received a Graduate Student Travel Award ($1,000) from ASPET at the Experimental Biology Meeting in Chicago, IL in April 22, 2017.
- Chad Pope received a Best Poster Award at the 21st International Symposium on Microsomes and Drug Oxidations (MDO) at University of California, Davis, CA in October 5, 2016.
- Sabrina Ilham received the Dr. Karl A. & Joan C. Nieforth Pharmacy Student Research Grant Award ($4,000) from the University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy to support her research in 2016 Summer.
- Stephanie Piekos received a Graduate Student Travel Award ($1,000) from ASPET at the Experimental Biology Meeting in San Diego, CA in April 2, 2016.
- Dr. Yun-Chen Tien received the James R. Gillette Best Paper Award in Drug Metabolism from the Division for Drug Metabolism of ASPET at the Experimental Biology Meeting in San Diego, CA in April 4, 2016.
- Control of developmental regulation of CYP3A gene expression in mouse liver (funded by NIGMS R01GM087376).
- Developmental regulation of drug processing genes (funded by NIEHS R01ES019487).
- Short and long term impacts of drug exposure at early life on drug metabolism, therapeutic efficacy, and drug-induced toxicity (funded by NIGMS R01GM118367).
- Chromatin interactions, epigenomics, and transcriptional response to drug induction (funded by Affinity Research Collaborarive of Institute for System Genomics of the University of Connecticut).